Tuesday, December 28, 2010

MyPod: Ke$sha: Tik Tok



Letsee where to start? Let’s preface this first. Most people do album reviews so I’m going to be a weird and review songs as opposed. In my experience I’ve found it very difficult to get people to listen to or a buy a CD unless they really like your taste in music, but it’s a little easier to recommend a song and have people make up their own damn minds. So let’s start…Ke$Ha’s hit single, "Tik Tok".

“Tik Tok” is your standard party jam. Anyone who knows me knows that I hate one type of music: POP! However, I’m feeling fair and just slightly intoxicated at the moment so I thought I that I’d give it a another listen and write a blurb. In all honesty, I’m of two minds on the song. Obviously if you’re a college girl and this is your Saturday anthem, then you should probably email me your number and a picture and maybe we can hook up in your roommate’s closet with some BBQ sauce, a beer, and KY. That was a serious proposition lasses.  Despite its super pop nature, I didn’t think that the song was so bad. It’s a basically about a “bad gurl” winding up to party. Being slightly partial to bad girls (especially one’s that conform to pop sensibilities), I think it’s an untapped market in terms of the pop song (excluding Ms Benatar’s  “Love is a Battlefield”) .  Most girly pop songs are written to appeal to the good girl crowd feeling momentarily naughty, but here’s Ke$ha writing a song about how much of a drunk skank she is. Again, being partial to drunk white women, also known as black man’s kryptonite, I thought it was an interesting angle to hit. As true to its genre, its auto tuned and touts syphilis like catchiness.
 
So to close, I don’t own the album, but it’s good to climb out from behind your force-shields of pretention (hipsters!) occasionally and just enjoy some stupid fun song. It’s a party song that you listen to before your drunken one night stand essentially. This song stands in staunch opposition to everything I stand for (except drunk skanky white women), and has absolutely no substance or benefit to mankind, but gosh darn-it, it’s listenable. Give the woman her five minutes of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment